Capital city of Ethiopia

፩ ፪ ፫

Emancipation

Emancipation
I am from the Table of the Sun. We say “what you write in the Nile will be read in the desert". Links and tweets do not imply endorsement.We write in codes – that’s the problem!

Blog Archive (ጡመራ ፥ ዝርዝር)

two doors will open - the Big Bang

I started this blog in 2006. It has seen me through a lot. I have posted from different countries in East and West Africa that I have lived in. It chronicles a huge part of my life. And although I haven't been posting much over this past year, I haven't wanted to let it go. It means too much to me. I have decided that now, for various reasons, I am going to keep posting to this blog. And also be an open book on my years at work in: Tanzania, Uganda, and now Ghana. Clear as mud? Here it is simply:

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Ethiopia, Gold and Pyramids


Happy Geologic Map day!! 19Oct. 2012
Gold and Pyramids, man's earliest geologic efforts

The Arabian-Nubian Shield (ANS) was the site of some of man's earliest geologic efforts.
The earliest preserved geologic map was made in 1150 BCE to show the location of gold deposits in Eastern Egypt; it is known as the Turin papyrus.

The Greek name for Aswan, Syene; is the type locality for the igneous rock syenite.
Pharonic Egyptians also quarried granite near Aswan and floated this down the Nile to be used as facing for the pyramids.

ANS is an exposure of Precambrian crystalline rocks on the flanks of the Red Sea. It is the northern half of a great collision zone called the East African Orogen. This collision zone formed near the end of Neoproterozoic time when East and West Gondwana collided to form the supercontinent Gondwana.
ANS includes the nations of Israel, Jordan. Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Yemen, and Somalia.




Geological map of Ethiopia, 1973. Scale 1:2,000,000

No comments: